One of those days? Unfortunately yes. This morning I experienced one of my scarier moments since becoming a Mom. Don't worry, everyone is ok and for the most part unharmed.
I fainted while home alone with Mason. Yep, that fear that something will happen to me while I am at home with the kids (partly) came true.
There has been a nasty sinus, cold, or allergy fog looming over our household for most of the week. In these instances Dusty and I load up on vitamin C to try and combat whatever is invading. I was in the kitchen and had just mixed a powder pack of emergen-c with cold water. I am not particularly fond of the taste so I always chug it. Well apparently I tried to gulp too much too fast and ended up with horrible pains in my chest and lungs. I remember leaning forward onto the counter and the next thing I know I woke up on the floor. It took me a little bit to reorient myself and I panicked the minute I realized that Dusty had just left with Mallory to go the grocery store and I was home alone with Mason. I had no concept of how long I had been unconscious. I ran to the living room to find him sitting in the same spot, eating his waffle wheel, playing with a plastic children's hanger, watching Alvin and the chipmunks on tv. After a peek at the clock I determined I was out only a matter of seconds. I called Dusty in tears and made him come home. My next fear was I landed on the tile floor along with my glass. I was pale and had orange drink all in my hair and all over my clothes. My neck was sore and I must have hit the inside of my left knee because it has a small bruise. But I was shocked when I felt my head and couldn't find one bump or sore spot. Thankful that it was not worse as the fainting itself is not usually harmful, it's the injuries associated with the fall that can be bad.
After some water and rest I started feeling better. A little research basically revealed that gulping as I did can sometimes restrict the throat passages triggering a nerve near the carotid artery which drops the blood pressure too low and cuts the blood supply to the brain, leading to loss of consciousness. Sounds serious but its really not. Swallow syncope as its termed is rare but does happen, most often with cold and carbonated beverages. Strange huh!
I will admit I have a bad history of fainting. I have a very low pain tolerance and have passed out more times than I can count because of minor injuries or fear of pain. It started when I was a child and has unfortunately continued into adulthood. This instance however was MUCH different. I usually blackout and my hearing gets muffled when I am going to pass out. This gives me a couple seconds to quickly lay down to avoid fall injuries, a concept I could not grasp as a child. But this time, I had no warning. I went from completely alert to fully unconscious in less than one second. That's why I am certain it was a result of however funky way I managed to swallow. Gosh, it really seems so silly. I am sure I will laugh about it eventually.
Although we are certain I may have a very minor concussion because I was nauseous and foggy most of the day, I am happy to report that I am feeling 100% this evening. Thank you Lord for sending your angels to watch over me and my kiddo. I know it could have been much worse but am just thankful we are all ok! It sure did get me thinking about my daily check in plan with my husband though!! I am not a fan of these scary moments and hope its the last time I have that feeling ever!!
No comments:
Post a Comment