Monday, January 13, 2014

Smile in the Rough

The last two weeks have been quite rough for us. It all started with Mason's ear infection the week of New Years. We had a couple of days of relief and were even able to enjoy a friends birthday party. Then that night Mason started coughing. I thought nothing of it because it appeared as allergies. Sure enough Sunday night he started running a high fever. His cough got worse and by Tuesday I took him in to the dr. His ear infection had not cleared and he had a viral respiratory infection. They decided to give him a 3 day series of antibiotic shots to clear his ears quickly but the cold had to run its course. Wednesday Mason started feeling better but Mallory started running 102 degree fever. She started coughing and having lots of congestion. I knew they would tell me it was a cold so I just treated her fever and went on. By Saturday night she was having a lot of trouble sleeping and breathing. I decided to take her to the ER. They gave her a breathing treatment which appeared to help but it was nothing more than a severe respiratory infection, most likely rsv or adenovirus, for which there is no treatment. So we were sent home. Yesterday Mason started having diarrhea and throwing up and his diarrhea has continued today, so it appears we have some sort of bug on our hands.


A sick and upset baby boy! 
(I only took a picture to update Daddy on the status of everyone that day. Clearly not well.)


My little sicky in the ER. Awful experience.

Life has been full of tears, sleepless nights, medicine, loads of laundry, and seclusion from the rest of the world. But we are still trying to find plenty of moments to smile.

Mallory has picked up on the concept of "bless you" again. Except for she thinks it's appropriate when someone coughs or sneezes, which I think is precious. Precious but heartbreaking... When she has a 5 minute long coughing attack and every chance she can catch her breath says "oh blesh you, oh" in the most pitiful voice. Sweet sickly baby.


A short lived moment of happy at my parents house on Saturday. She was refusing to wear a shirt that day! Tells you what kind of day that wended up being!

Mason has mastered "please". I am so proud of him. "Up, please." "More, please." "Help, please." "Eat, please." "Milk, please." He even signs it when he says it. Except for now I am having a hard time telling him no because it's just too cute. You want to play on my iMac and delete everything? Sure honey, because you so sweetly said please! Ha.


(I mean no offense to anyone on this one, it's just funny.) Mallory pronounces the word milk with an "n" sound and an exaggerated "ka" sound at the end. So she walks around the house saying "my nicka" "my nicka". I promise we are not teaching her bad things!! But you have to admit, that makes for a good laugh!


She can't reach the microwave unless she stands on the chair. She's always been resourceful...


Mason saw me looking at a picture of my friend Lacyes baby Harper on my phone. He saw it and said "sister". I said "no that's Harper." He immediately started pointing to the door saying "Harpers, Harpers, Harpers", almost in tears because he wanted to go bye bye to see Harper. It was the sweetest thing! We compromised and face timed Harper instead, and he froze of course. But today he overheard me talking to her, ran in, grabbed the phone and said "hi" to which she responded in the most girly gentle voice saying "hi". I think our boy might have his first crush! :)


He was kind of weirded out by the whole thing! Ha.


Girlfriends catching up, all smiles of course!

I am happy to have these good moments amidst all the unfortunate ones. They make the rough times a little easier to survive!

2 comments:

The Kalivoda's said...

loved the face timing!! Its funny to see that Harper looks as awkward on the face time photo as I do most days!! Definitely not a good look for her, but it was fun chatting with you guys!!

Sarah said...

Ahh, she looks cute! Face timing is awkward though!! Haha. That's why we don't do that everyday! ;)