I know you are probably tired of posts about my sickly kids. Believe me, I so wish the excitement of our life did not revolve around the wrath of illnesses we have faced this year. But my little guy is sure having a rough go at it. Last week nobody was sleeping so I took them both in to see the pedi. Mallory just had a minor ear infection but Mason tested positive for strep and he was also wheezing pretty heavily. She had checked his stats and his oxygen saturation was sufficient so she put him on an oral albuterol. Well over the weekend Mason's cough never got worse but he never sounded better. Yesterday he threw up in the morning and started running fever yesterday afternoon, while already on antibiotics mind you.
Today I took him back in and the PA informed me that it was full fledged pneumonia! The pulsox showed he was down in the low 80s so she administered a breathing treatment right away. Praise the Lord that got him back up to 97 otherwise we would have been headed for another hospital stay. So, we now own a nebulizer and are on breathing treatments every 4 hours for the next 48. Praying our follow up on Wednesday shows improvement or we will be headed to the hospital.
On top of that both monkeys are now having pretty extreme diarrhea episodes, unlike that normally caused by antibiotics. So I fear we may have also contracted a bug. Several people have asked why my kiddos are so sick all the time. I don't have an answer really. I clean and disinfect and I do my best to avoid super germy situations however, we do still go out in public and the kids are still building immunity to things so unfortunately I think this just might be the phase of life we are in. I think Mason may have a harder time fighting stuff off from the complications that occurred with him during my pregnancy. I've never asked for confirmation on that theory, but I feel like his restricted nutrition for several weeks in utero gave him a hard time when his body should have been busy preparing to enter the world. Instead he was fighting to survive.
But, at the end of the day these are very treatable, seasonal illnesses that we can manage. It may not be fun for any of us but we sure will survive it all. And we will treasure every healthy day more and more!
Happy St. Patricks Day! Even though our day was filled with doctors, pharmacies, medicine and naps, it was still a good one. The kids were quite festive running around town too!



No comments:
Post a Comment