Saturday, May 25, 2013

I Am No Supermom

The last three days can be summed up by this: I am NO Supermom. Don't get me wrong, I never claimed to be a supermom. Some days I feel like the expectations of mothers are so high in society, that I haven't even gotten out of bed and I am already failing standards. But, I am now certain that I would not survive motherhood without the amazing support system we have.

Thursday at 2 in the morning Mason woke up sick. He was running 103 degree fever and throwing up. It broke my heart to the point of tears. We've had some minor sickness before but I have never experienced my sweet boy so miserable, achy, and shaking from his fever. I do everything I can to get him comfortable but this is the highest fever we've had in the house. I of course left him in bed with us and at 6 am I woke up to his little body jerking and shaking every 15 seconds or so. And he was burning up. I panicked. I called the after hours number at my pedi office and the PA called me right back. She instructed me just to focus on getting his fever down. About 20 minutes later after being loaded with tylenol, stripped down, bathed, and covered in cold cloths, it broke thank goodness. Later that morning I got a call from my doctors office that they were going to squeeze Mason in an appointment with the PA. Gamaw left work and met me up at the office to hang out with Mallory in the truck while I took Mason in. I hate exposing my healthy child to germs at the doctor if I can avoid it! Plus, Mason is terrified at the doctor so it helps to be able to hold him, not just throw him in the stroller.

His ears looked good but his throat was incredibly red. He tested negative for strep so they sent a throat culture off. I had him in just 2 weeks before and they told me his throat was red then too, making three times of this total! They went ahead and called him an antibiotic while we wait for lab results, suspecting its most likely a bacterial infection.

Gamaw then went to get pedialyte and brought it to our house before she went back to work. The pharmacy took forever and didn't get the medicine ready until later that afternoon after I already had the kids down napping so sweet Gamaw left work, came to the other side of town, picked up the medicine and left it on the doorstep while we napped.

We got up from nap and Mason was burning up again and he was so upset. So here I am with my sweet boy that doesn't want to be put down and cries when you move him too much and baby girl who is feeling great but isn't capable of doing things for herself. I was so overwhelmed! I called Dusty's mom in tears asking her to come over after work because I knew that Dusty was working late and he was out in the field where I couldn't even reach him. So of course Gamaw came straight over. She ended up offering to take Mallory for the night so I could focus on making Maser better. That was such a big help! Mason went to bed with a low fever but acting much better.

Friday morning, Aunt Sandy was in town for Memorial Day weekend so she kept Mallory while Gamaw went to work. Mason and I woke up and he was acting great with no fever. I was so relieved! I hopped in the shower while he played in my room. I could hear him fussing so jumped out to find that he had thrown up all over the floor and had slipped in it. I went to pick him up and he was hot again! We got all cleaned up in the shower. Thinking that his milk just irritated his tummy I loaded him up to run an errand and he threw up in the car. Poor baby! We turned around and went home but he ended up vomiting another time and was still running fever. I put a call into the doctor and they basically said he hasn't had enough doses of the antibiotic yet to relieve his symptoms so to just hold out. Aunt sandy brought Mallory to me and my sweet mommy ended up being off and coming over Friday around lunch time to help me juggle a still miserable little boy, a demanding little girl and mounds of throw up laundry in the house!! We got everyone down so I sent mom home and was going to nap myself. The doctor called and wanted to send Mason for a CBC draw at the hospital because they felt like he shouldn't be so sick still. Gamaw ended up leaving work again to come help! She stayed with the sleeping kids while I went and picked up the lab orders from the pedis office. I went back to wake up Mason and take him in. I called the lab to make sure they were still open, it was already after 4 so I didn't want to go over if they couldn't do it. He told me they do outpatient draws until 6pm. We went up and I don't know my way around the new hospital so went to the info desk to ask where to go. She informed me that the lab closes at 4:30 pm. What?? I threw a fit! I just called!! So they sent us over to the ER and made them do it, after we waited for 45 minutes of course!

While we were at the hospital Mason had lots of energy but was being unusually aggressive and irritable. We won't get lab results probably until Tuesday. Gamaw ended up taking Mason for the night since he wasn't running fever or throwing up anymore and so I could get time with my princess and some sleep!!

He had a pretty restless night but was almost back to himself all day today so we think he is on the mend. I am anxious to see what the throat culture and blood draw show, because I just don't know what had him so miserable!

So with all the insanity of the last 72 hours I realize I am not a Supermom. I cannot cuddle my sick baby while taking care of my healthy child who needs to be fed, diaper changed and supervised every second. I am just so thankful for everyone being willing to jump in to help, especially Gamaw who went above and beyond for two days. Because as overwhelmed, worried, and heartbroken as I was I am fairly certain I would not have survived!!


But most importantly I was relieved to watch my Mason be more like himself today!!

No comments: