Monday, September 21, 2015

Bittersweet


About 6 weeks ago I finally decided to bite the bullet and wean Mallory off her pacifier. She hardly used it during the day but night time was a different story! That same week was the kids regular dentist visit and he encouraged me to do it quickly since Mal is almost 4.

So we gathered all the pacis in the house and Mal picked out a bag to put them in for the paci fairy. That night the paci fairy was going to come and leave lots of big girl surprises and she was going to take all the pacis to the new babies who needed them.

Mallory cried for almost 3 hours before finally passing out from shear exhaustion! It broke my heart and made me upset. I knew it would be tough but her feelings were so hurt, I hated it! That morning she awoke to some nail polish, gum, her own gel pens and paper, her own makeup (blush) and brush, and a jewelry making kit. She was pretty excited.

The second night she only cried for about 30 minutes and only woke up a couple times in the night. The next night she didn't cry at all and has done great ever since. She has asked for her pacis to be back at home a few times, especially when she's been sick. But she really has done much better than I expected.

It was one of the more emotional transitions for me because it was literally the last "baby" thing in our home. And I knew how attached she was which made me attached as well. But I'm relieved it's done and that she handled it so maturely. I am proud of our big girl!!


A few of my favorite paci moments through the years...




















No comments: